American Marketing Association Pittsburgh Collegiate Marketing Competition

The 4th Annual AMA Pittsburgh Collegiate Marketing Competition put focus on PPG Paints and brought it all to Robert Morris University on April 7, 2017.  Chatham University‘s team of Katherine Sclabassi, Elina Lankinen, Alice Shy and Morgan Schultz-McArdle came in third place.

The Chatham Team: (from left to right) Kate Sclabassi, Elina Lankinen, Alice Shy, and Morgan Schultz-McArdle

AMA Pittsburgh Collegiate Marketing Plan Competition tasked us with creating a comprehensive marketing plan for our client, PPG. My team worked all Spring semester to cultivate a plan to increase retail store performance and improve PPG Paint’s online presence. The competition was difficult at times– mainly juggling it with our other school work! Overall, the competition was well worth the time and effort. It helped me practice my public speaking skills and my project management skills, among other things. – Alice Shy, BA Marketing and Media Arts, ’17.

This year’s competition featured 15 teams of undergraduate marketing and business majors from local universities: Indiana University of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, University of Mount Union, Messiah College, Robert Morris University, Slippery Rock University, and West Virginia University.  The competition consisted of three phases: the first occurred offsite, while the second and third were at Robert Morris and included Q&A with the teams and their posters as well as the presentation of the top five teams.  Throughout the phases, students gathered background information on PPG to understand its history, competitors, broader industry.  That laid the foundation to develop a SWOT analysis and more research and brainstorming to develop a few strategies.  Their recommendations included improvements to their retail stores, improving their digital presence, and an environmental initiative to encourage proper disposal and recycling of paint cans.

Since I am not a marketing major or minor, I could only use the knowledge I have gained from the only marketing class I have taken, which was Principles of Marketing. However, I do plan to apply the lessons and experience I have gained from this case to future AMA cases. – Morgan Schultz-McArdle, BA Marketing, ’19

AMA’s mission is to be the most relevant force and voice shaping marketing around the world.  AMA Pittsburgh was founded in 1945 and is made up of over 200 marketing professionals, educators, and students.  AMA Pittsburgh offers many professional developing and networking opportunities to ensure their professional success.

Chatham students are fortunate to have the opportunities to develop great relationships and experience when participating in competitions like the AMA Pittsburgh Collegiate Marketing Competition. Also, the Chatham Marketing Association (CMA) is lucky to have a devoted and knowledgeable Faculty Advisor such as Dr. Debbie DeLong.  All marketing students are encouraged to join CMA to gain access to opportunities that can help you both now and in the future!

You may also like...