Campus Community Presentation

In order to facilitate information sharing and reach as many alumni as possible, we are providing a link to a PDF of the latest Campus Community presentation that has been given to students, faculty and select alumnae up to this point. This version also incorporates some additional data and other minor changes requested via the feedback of those who have seen the earlier presentation.

In order to leave time for questions and feedback for the Board of Trustees, Dr. Barazzone’s presentation at the campus community events will touch on the key points from this presentation and include additional industry context, but will not include all information and slides contained in this version.

Posting to the blog ensures that even those who are not able to attend will be able to view the information being shared. Please click on the link below to view/download the PDF of the presentation.

Campus Community Presentation PDF

1. Chatham Mod says:

Thank you for your questions and participation during tonight’s town hall meeting. We have collected all of your questions to address in the coming weeks.

2. 2009 Alumna says:

Dr. Barazzone noted that 37% of alumnae raised 1.3 million dollars for the Annual Fund in 2007. Currently, we are hitting 22% participation and raising about $600,000. If the alumnae were to DOUBLE dontations in monetary value for this fiscal year, would it be enough to consider postponing or dismissing the proposal to transition to a co-educational institution?

I am willing to increase my donations to #savechatham.

I am willing to visit local high schools in my area to recruit and #savechatham.

Please, let us know what action we can take to prove that we are serious about turning this ship around.

3. Asia '08 says:

I second this proposal. I am also willing – and HAPPY – to increase donations, fundraise, and recruit locally.

4. Alexis Macklin says:

I’m so glad the issue of alumnae giving has been raised. I would like to add my two cents as someone who knows about development in higher ed and the non profit worlds . . .

Alumnae donations need to be a consistent source of revenue. If we had been giving consistently – even over the last two decades – then, yes, we might well have been able to avoid a crisis. The real issue is that we have not – not collectively – and that’s what matters.

We have not invested in our own alma mater. When we talk of a lack of leadership on campus – we need also consider our own.

Giving right now is important. Giving now increases the chances of alternative outcomes – but that giving will also need to continue for a sustainable result. We can’t do what we did 20 years ago – band together until the crisis was over – then drop back out of touch. We need to band together and stay connected.

In addition to giving – we need to be present. Volunteer and get involved. I was disappointed that no one from the Alumnae(i) Board spoke up when a young alum talked about wanting to get involved but wasn’t having any success. When I was serving on the board – there was a database being developed to fit volunteer opportunities to alums . . . what has happened to that project??? It seems that there is a great need for it and the time couldn’t be greater to engage alums. The Alumnae(i) Board needs to make this project a priority and get the word out.

Finally, another alum put it so beautifully last night when she said are all on the same side . . . we all want the same outcome – to have Chatham be a thriving university dedicated to women’s education. Can we accomplish the HOW together??

Please – no more attacking. There is way too much work to do right now. We don’t have time to attack.

5. Lisa Kulick says:

Thank you for explaining this so succinctly, Alexis!

6. Lisa Kulick says:

I’d like to thank President Barazzone and the Board of Trustees for providing the alumnae with the data and statistics that are crucial for all of us to understand this issue.

Working in higher education admissions for 21 years, I know the challenges of recruiting a qualified, diverse, undergraduate class of students each year, particularly with the waning interest in the liberal arts, the competition of financial aid leveraging, the rising cost of a private, campus-based education vs. the lure of less expensive and more convenient online courses, and the declining numbers of primary and secondary target audiences. Of course Chatham isn’t alone in facing these challenges.

I believe that Chatham alumnae are courageous and resilient so let’s get to work: we need to take responsibility to empower ourselves with the facts and engage in productive discussion of long-term solutions with the administration and board. Chatham women do not make naive accusations or foolish threats; WE SOLVE PROBLEMS. And these are real-life problems where the stakes are high and the solutions imperfect. THIS is what a Chatham education prepared us for, ladies. Let’s rise to the challenge!

Let’s start with common ground: President Barazzone made it clear that the commitment to Chatham’s undergraduate education is there. The commitment to fostering women’s leadership is there. We all believe in this; we all want to Save Chatham.

We must be brave enough now to listen, to discuss the issues professionally and to work together as allies to implement solutions. As Dr. Adam would remind us, “Sic transit gloria mundi,” but, “Onward and upward!”

Sincerely,
    Lisa Kulick ’92

7. Alexis says:

YES!! Lisa – you are spot on!

8. Kansas says:

I would happily join this effort as well!

I already tried contacting the admissions office about recruiting at my local high schools, but they referred me to the alum office and they said they couldn’t help me… Maybe I wasn’t talking to the right people, but I will try again this week.

From the beginning, I know that if Pres. E.B. could call her shot, then the alums can match it.

What’s the cost & how many women does it take to keep CCW for women?

#savechatham :)

9. Tonya Guiga says:

I am really pleased to read this website posts which includes tons of helpful information, thanks for providing these data.

10. Hugely descriptive post, I liked that a great deal. Will there be a aspect two?

11. When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added”
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added
    I get several e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
    Bless you!

1. There are no trackbacks for this post yet.