Admission Visits, Fairs & Outreach

Based on feedback and questions we have received through e-mail, on the blog or at the town hall meetings, there have been some questions concerning attendance at recruiting fairs, high school visits and other outreach related to the recruiting of students for Chatham College for Women.

The Office of Admission at Chatham University has a long tradition and emphasis on high quality personalized individualized recruitment. This includes regional and national attendance at college fairs and individualized visits at high schools.

From Fall 2011 to Fall 2013 the Chatham Office of Undergraduate Admission attended over 603 high school visits and college fairs in over 11 states nationally. When admission counselors were unable to attend, alumnae volunteers have been used to assist in covering fairs.

• Fall 2011:           90 visits & fairs / 7 states
  • Sp 2012:            51 visits & fairs / 10 states
  • Fall 2012:          237 visits & fairs / 11 states
  • Spring 2013:     75 visits & fairs / 7 states
  • Fall 2013:          150 visits & fairs / 11 states
  • Spring 2014:     47* visits & fairs / 7 states

*numerous fairs and invites are still being confirmed at the time of this post. 

This spring includes many personalized high school visits, regional college fairs as well as nine national NACAC college fairs including Pittsburgh, Miami, Rochester, Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo, Montgomery County, New Jersey and Prince George’s County.

In addition to high school visits and college fairs, the office has also sought to make Chatham a destination for high school guidance counselors and groups of students. These have included:

From 2009 through 2012, we hosted a School Guidance Counselor Fly-In and overnight. This was an all-expenses paid event for high school guidance counselors that provided guidance counselors from across the country the opportunity to see Chatham programs and campus firsthand.

Each December we host a local high school guidance counselor and community college advisor campus reception on the Shadyside campus. In October 2013 an event was also hosted for counselors at Eden Hall Campus and included presentations from CCW faculty and the Dean.

Chatham University also seeks to host large high school events and large group tours. Examples of these include North Hills High School who brought two large groups of seniors to see the cadaver lab and tour campus in May 2013.  College For Every Student (CFES) brought a group from Erie in February 2013. Shaler High School held an M-Powerment Event here last March and will be hosting Celebration of Diversity next week. Fairfield High School is bringing a group at the end of March and Propel High School is bringing a group at the end of April.

The University continues to host the National Women & Girls in Sports event which draws over 150 high school girls each year to campus. Chatham is a partner with the YWCA and STEM-STARS program which helps improve academic achievement and increase interest in, and awareness of, STEM topics and careers among economically disadvantaged girls. Chatham also hosts regular events in the fall for Pittsburgh promise students from Pittsburgh public high schools with this year’s event including participation by Pittsburgh Promise students and alumnae of Chatham College for Women.

1. Nicole Hagan says:

The following are a list of upcoming regional college fairs/events in North Carolina. These are just the remaining events for the spring of this year – unfortunately, the NACAC National College Fair in Raleigh was held this past Tuesday while I was at the Pittsburgh townhall meeting, otherwise I would have volunteered to be there too. I am willing to volunteer as an alumna to represent Chatham at each and every one of them. I will also forward this comment to Alumni Relations so they are aware of my commitment to Chatham College for Women.

March 18, 2014
    College Fair: Orange High School Career & College Expo
    10:15am
    500 Orange High School Rd, Hillsborough, NC

March 27, 2014
    Parent Night: The Wake NC State Univ. STEM Early College High School Information Night
    6:30pm
    715 Barbour Drive, Raleigh NC

March 28, 2014
    College Fair: 2014 Hispanic Educational Summit
    8:00am
    The McKimmon Center, Raleigh, NC

March 29, 2014
    College Fair: YBM 2014 Leadership Conference & College Fair
    11:00am
    10505 Clear Creek Commerce Dr, Mint Hill, NC

April 10. 2014
    College Fair: Marvin Ridge High School 411 Night
    5:00pm
    2825 Crane Rd, Waxhaw, NC

April 15, 2014
    College Fair: Junior Night at Western Alamance High School
    5:30pm
    1731 N Carolina 87, Elon, NC

April 24, 2014
    Parent Night: Leesville Road High School
    6:30pm
    8410 Pride Way, Raleigh, NC

2. bcampbell says:

Thanks Nicole. We’ve made admissions aware of your post and you can also email admission@chatham.edu.

3. Emily Newport Woodward says:

Nicole – just curious to know if anyone has contacted you about volunteering for these college fairs?

4. Nicole Hagan says:

Hi Emily,

When I found out about the fairs, I emailed them to Cori in Alumni Relations as well, and was contacted by admissions today. They will be in touch if they need assistance.

5. Nicole Hagan says:

Thank you Bill. I received an email from Admissions today.

6. Sandy Kuritzky says:

Nicole,
    I’m glad you were contacted and hope you were provided with enough background info. to feel like you can make a positive impact at the college fairs.

Sadly, I was a last-minute recruit last year @ a college fair in Norristown, PA. While I received a box full of myriad brochures, I was only able to get updated details re: CCW (and CU) thanks to some last-minute scrambling by the Alumnae Association.

May your efforts bear fruit!
    Sandy Kuritzky, ’73

7. Nicole Hagan says:

Sandy,

Please let me clarify – I was not contacted to represent Chatham at college fairs at this time. I was told, in short, “We will be back in touch soon if your help is needed at any of the events.”

I will continue to extend my offer to recruit and represent Chatham College for Women for as long as it is a women’s college.

8. Sandy Kuritzky says:

Thanks for the clarification, Nicole. I certainly hope CU (in it’s entirety) will be well represented this evening, as well as at future events!
    Sandy

9. Rachel Lenzi says:

My husband recently volunteered at a college fair in Toledo, Ohio – less than four hours away from the Pittsburgh metro area – as a representative for his alma mater.

As he was preparing to present, he met a local high school administrator who oversees the college fair and my husband asked, “My wife graduated from Chatham University in Pittsburgh. Will Chatham have a representative here tonight?”

The administrators response? “Chatham? No, they aren’t here. They were here once, years ago, but haven’t been back since.”

10. Sandy Kuritzky says:

Unfortunately, despite what has been written by the administration, that seems to be the theme. CCW – a well kept secret!

It makes me wonder how hard we’ve worked to fill our incoming first year (fka freshman) classes.

Sandy Kuritzky, ’73

11. Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I will certainly digyg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am confident they will be benefgited from this web site.

My web-site :: Temp Agency Orange County Ca

12. Hi fantastic website! Does running a blog similar to this
    take a massive amount work? I have absolutely no understanding
    of programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog
    in the near future. Anyways, should you have
    any recommendations or techniques for new blog owners please share.

I understand this is off subject nevertheless I just had to ask.
    Cheers!

1. There are no trackbacks for this post yet.