Did you know that, as a Chatham student, staff, or faculty member, you can experience a world-class symphony for $15-20 (http://bit.ly/1PpszOp)? And you don’t have to leave town! The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra has been bringing classical music to Pittsburgh audiences since 1896 and today they have a mobile app that makes it easy to purchase tickets, listen to music, and more.
The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra Fan App is free and available for both Android and iOS users. It is developed by InstantEncore, a company that has helped create similar apps for institutions such as the New York Philharmonic and Houston Ballet.
Designed for phone and tablet use, the interface is attractive and easy to navigate. A rotating set of images representing upcoming performances set the background of the main page and a series of tabs at the bottom of the frame correspond to different content and media types. The content included in this app is dynamic and includes audio, video, maps, and calendar schedules. Additionally, the in-app browser makes it easy to view content on YouTube, various news sites, and the Symphony’s main webpage without taking you out of the app.
Don’t know anything about classical music? Or looking to learn more?
- The app connects you to the Pittsburgh Symphony’s YouTube channel. The channel features videos demonstrating different instruments as well as interviews with Symphony musicians and audience members. This function is available when clicking “Videos” from the “More” tab.
- The “Music” tab features free audio clips of Symphony performances, so you can get a small taste of the experience.
- The “What’s New” tab includes links and clips of news articles, the Symphony’s blog, and videos relating to current performances.
Looking to plan a visit?
- You can view a calendar of events in a list form in the “Events” tab as well as in a calendar in the “More” tab.
- You can purchase tickets and share event information from the app.
- Information about parking, dining, and accessibility services is also located in the “More” tab.
- You can set up notifications for upcoming shows and concert series when you first download the app or later under “Settings.”
If you are interested in attending a Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra performance (they offer everything from Beethoven to music from the Pokémon video games), the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra Fan App is definitely worth the download.