1st Year Faculty Technology
Over the past year, I used the iPad (with Evernote and iAnnotate apps) to support paperless grading and the software (Panopto and VoiceThread) to create a traditional classroom feel within an online program. The intent is to explore opportunities to create a more personal welcoming environment within an online program were students visually see and hear each other in a virtual asynchronized environment.
Currently using the iPad to create voice files to offer students personal feedback on papers. Used Panopto to offer welcoming messages at the beginning of each semester. Panopto also supports tutorials to offer students video/audio lectures on how to perform certain required tasks/assignments. VoiceThread supported students with initial introductions to classmates and to have personal audio/video asynchronized discussions.
Initially, I had a limited number of students who volunteered to participate in voice feedback grading during pilot trial. Those who participated spoke highly of the personal verbal feedback that was offered. Will use voice comments for all students this term. Panopto is extremely popular and very well received. I had numerous comments reflecting positive impact from students. Learning curve for students to use VoiceThread and to find program to open voice files on graded assignments. Process creates additional prep time for faculty.
Welcoming environment where students do not feel alone in an online educational program. Encourages and supports peer bonding and building of relationships.
* Giving student feedback using voice recordings with track changes. This was down on the iPad
* Evernote/iAnnotate (iPad apps)
* Panopto (Lecture capturing)
* VoiceThread (Voice discussion forums)
- Voicethread Student Tutorial
- Screencast O Matic Tutorial
- Voicethread Faculty Tutorial
- Downthemall Tutorial
2nd Year Faculty Technology Plan
In preparing curricular content for a new MSN Nursing Informatics degree, my goals for year two will shift to guiding faculty and nursing students in using the Internet, social media and innovative technology safely. Below are two goals I am striving to meet:
1. To guide faculty and students in the safe use of the Internet, social media and innovative technology within curricular content. Explore and outline articles/policy guiding faculty and students.
2. Integration of Social media into curricular design as course assignments supporting the use innovative technology to advance healthier lifestyles in the community.
Here is a link to social media guidelines for in the classroom shared by our FTF leaders “Becky Bush and Lauren Panton” (thank you)
Please feel free to contact me if interested in more detail on what I have learned or currently doing. Hope this is helpful.
~~ Best, Deb (412 365 1547 firstname.lastname@example.org )