Athlete profile: Julie Bruening

First year Julie Bruening, from Madison Ohio, has dedicated most of her life to the sport of soccer. This year has been slightly different. There are still the early or late practices, the tough coaches, and the intense competition, but now she is living with her teammates instead of just playing with them.

Bruening has been receiving quite a bit of attention recently as an athlete at Chatham. She has been named PAC Offensive Player of the Week, is currently tied with junior Skylar Benjamin for most goals in a game at four apiece, has scored ten goals overall this season so far, and has been recognized by NCAA as the top scorer of points per game in Division III Women’s Soccer.

“I’m really happy to have all these things, but it wasn’t just me. If it wasn’t for my teammates backing me up and the coaches supporting me, I probably wouldn’t have gotten this far,” Bruening said. “I think that you have to try your best because you know that the team has your back and that you have theirs. Teamwork really does make the dream work.”

Bruening continues to play during the season, while balancing a personal and academic life. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her friends and teammates.