A Day in the Life of a Chatham Student

by Megan Delaney, sophomore, English and International Studies major

An average day at Chatham for me starts around 9:00 am. I am lucky to have not had too many early morning classes, and I like to be up around an hour before my first class begins. After waking up, I shower, get dressed, and brush my teeth. I try to eat breakfast every morning. Usually, it consists of something like cereal or a granola bar, but sometimes I use my blender to make a smoothie or protein shake. After eating, I head up the stairs to campus. Most of my classes take place in Falk or Coolidge Hall, but I have had some science-related classes in Buhl Hall.

Outside Buhl
Outside Falk

A majority of my classes fall under the realm of humanities, so this means a lot of discussion and collaboration in class. Some of these classes include Intro to Women Writers and Shakespeare Survey. After class is over, I might stop at Cafe Rachel for an iced tea. I usually make my own meals in my apartment’s kitchen, but I will also stop at Anderson or get a quick lunch at Cafe Rachel if I see something I like.

Patio of Cafe Rachel

The number of classes I have in one day can vary, and I have had anywhere from one to four classes in a single day. Regardless, I usually have some free time for dinner. Similar to lunch, I often make my own dinner, but sometimes meet with friends at Anderson for a meal. I complete most of my studying and homework in the evenings, but I try to give myself enough time to wind down before sleeping around midnight. On the weekend, my schedule looks quite different, as I utilize those days to spend time with friends, run errands, and explore Pittsburgh. I have spent a lot of time in places like Shadyside, Oakland, and Squirrel Hill, trying out various restaurants and attractions. I find that mostly everything I need at college can be reached by walking or taking a quick bus ride.

Squirrel Hill
Pittsburgh skyline

Although mine is just one experience, I have found that life at Chatham can be what you make it. There are many exciting opportunities on campus and around the city to explore!