Fulbright US Student Competition for 2020-2021
The 2020-2021 Fulbright US Student Competition is open.
Grants are offered for rising seniors and recent graduates to teach English abroad, pursue independent research or study in a graduate degree program. Advice and support is available for applicants; see the below timeline for applicants and contact Fulbright Program Advisers firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Chatham’s on campus deadline is September 10, 2019 and the national deadline to submit an application is October 8, 2019, 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
For more information, visit https://us.fulbrightonline.org/
Fulbright US Student Program – Timeline and Checklist for 2020-2021 competition
April 1, 2019:
Online application opens. View awards by clicking on specific countries at http://us.fulbrightonline.org/countries/regions
- Register as applicant in Slate platform; register as a Chatham University applicant
- Check out application and requirements
- Thoroughly read Fulbright website
- Review differences between ETA (English Teaching Assistant) grants and Research/Study grants
- Research your country and Fulbright commission (either grant). Carefully consider the profile of countries. Keep up with current events in the country.
- Research your topic if you are applying for a Research grant; discuss your research topic with your academic advisor and department for ideas and input.
- Begin networking and start looking for affiliations (names and universities) if you are applying for a Research grant. Make initial outreach to university abroad. If you are unsure about how to approach universities, request assistance from your academic advisor, department and/or Fulbright Program Advisors (FPAs)
- Work on your language proficiency (register for summer classes and/or self-study)
- Look for opportunities to strengthen your candidacy. Become a language partner for the English Language Program.
- Be in touch with FPAs to schedule advising appointments.
- Update your CV/resume
- Start drafting statements for application
- Fill out your personal details on the application
- Start looking for language reference writers; continue language study
- Think about your recommenders and reach out to them.
- Follow up contact with the university abroad as necessary, secure affiliation letter
- Request university/college transcripts (unofficial is okay) from all schools attended in US and abroad
- Share first drafts of your essays with FPAs by July 16 (or earlier)
August 15, 2019, Deadline to share revised draft statements with FPAs /Fellowship committee for feedback before campus deadline
September 10, 2019, Campus Deadline. You must submit final drafts of your statements at this time and list your recommenders, language, etc.
September 17-21, 2019 On campus interviews with Fellowship committee. (exact days/times TBD). Campus committee evaluation completed. (FPAs upload form to Slate platform).
Applicants will be able to make additional revisions to application post-interview.
October 8, 2019, 5 pm EST. Online application system closes at 5:00 P.M. EST.
Late January 2020. Semi-finalists announced.
March-June 2020. Fulbright finalists announced by country.