Cathie’s Chocolate Fudge Sauerkraut Beer Cake
This cake is strange and delicious. Join us in this trustworthy recipe from Cathie, an expert in baking. With this hodgepodge list of ingredients, you won’t think it works until it does!
Recipe Roots: Cathie Huber has been finding her passion in the kitchen all her life. She was taught the basics from her mother, but her fascination with making delicious creations developed when she was a teenager. Cathie would clip recipes from magazines and make her family taste-test them (something her father didn’t always love). She is an avid cook but has found baking to be her favorite. Cathie’s nickname is “Pie Lady” for a reason!
⅔ cup soft margarine
1 ½ cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup plain cocoa powder
2 ⅓ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup beer
⅔ cup sauerkraut (drained, rinsed, and finely chopped)
9” x 13” pan
- Cream soft margarine with sugar.
- Beat eggs and add, along with the vanilla.
- Combine cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Add beer and sauerkraut. Stir until all mixed.
- Bake at 350oF for 40 minutes in a 9” x 13” greased pan.
Alternate baking options:
- Two 8” square or (2) 9” round pans – 40 minutes
- 11 ¾” x 7 1/2” pan – 45 minutes
Thank you, Cathie, for your recipe!