Categories
Finding One's Place in Taiwan

My part-time job experience in Taiwan

In my first year of college, to be more precise in semester 2, I once experienced difficulties, namely that my pocket money ran out within 2 weeks, and at that time I had no money at all until I borrowed my friend’s money for my meals. Then after that I felt stressed and depressed because my money ran out and it wasn’t time for me that day to ask for pocket money, because my pocket money was given once a month and at that time only 2 weeks ago it ran out because I often went out for a walk, then get together with friends, play billiards and others. Then at that time I felt that all this time I had been very wasteful in those 14 days and at that moment I wanted to buy a motorbike and other things that I wanted to buy. Then I couldn’t buy a motorbike because I didn’t have enough money and my pocket money would always run out. I also don’t hesitate when I ask my parents for money to buy a motorbike and buy the things I want at that time. Then I thought that I wanted to work to earn more pocket money and save money to buy a motorbike.

But at that time, my mandarin was bad and I was afraid to work because I used mandarin, and I was afraid that I would make a mistake because I didn’t understand mandarin. For example, I don’t understand what my boss says to me or orders me to do. Then I finally got a job offer for an Indonesian restaurant in Taiwan from my friend. Then no need to think about it, I immediately accepted the job and I worked for 4 months. Then my job is to deliver food by motorbike, then look after the shop. Then after 4 months I left because the restaurant no longer needed a part-time job, he needed a full-time job while I couldn’t work full time at that time because I was in college. Then after that, not long after that I opened a business with my friend in Taiwan with my friend, namely reselling fashion items such as clothes, bags, shoes, and others. Then our target buyers are Indonesians who work in Taiwan, for example, domestic workers from Indonesia. Then after 4 months of working, I used my money for capital to open my business. After 6 months of my shop, my friends and I finally decided to close this shop because it went bankrupt and there were so many competitors. After that I took a break after opening the business because the 6 months were very tired and required a lot of energy and thought.

After that I took a 2 month break from work and I went back to working part time again at a restaurant in Dong Bie. As time went by and it felt like at that time I was in the 3rd semester and my Mandarin had improved quite a bit, and I had not bought a motorbike at that time, I finally decided to work again at the restaurant until last April. My working time at the restaurant where I work is quite a lot, so I get quite a lot of money from my salary, and enough to buy a motorbike in Taiwan. And finally I decided to buy a motorcycle and I paid in installments for 4 months. And that’s when my dream finally came true. After I bought a motorbike, then I saved money to buy plane tickets for a vacation in my country, namely in Indonesia on June 8 and other things like buying a new suitcase, then buying a new cellphone because my cellphone was damaged at that time due to rain.

One reply on “My part-time job experience in Taiwan”

Having your own money is a freeing experience. I am sorry to hear that you had to go through some rough time, but also incredibly glad that you are in a good place now with a stable income. I’m also glad that your Chinese has improved. I know the struggle of speaking for the first time in a working environment. Your story is truly inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope your motorcycle will serve you a long time!