“Gratitude to Chatham University” by Tamim Adnan

Hi,

This is Tamim. I’m from Bangladesh. I completed my Bachelor of Science in Building Engineering and Construction Management, from Khulna University of Engineering and Technology (KUET). Now, I’m planning to go for my PhD program in Infrastructures and Environmental Systems at the University of North Carolina, Charlotte (UNC Charlotte). I will work as a graduate research assistant under the supervision of professor Dr. Don Chen. I was a student for English Learning Program at Chatham University in Summer 2020. I joined the program mainly from enthusiasm to improve my English while this program added a new milestone in my academic skill sets. When I completed my applications to US universities, most of them noticed on my transcript what Chatham University awarded me for this program. So, I’m really grateful for being a part of this ELP program at Chatham University.

Firstly, thanks to Dr. Linh Phung and Professor Sylvia for their cooperative teaching and guidance to us. Secondly, thanks to my classmates in the program from Japan, Bangladesh, Thailand, and Saudi Arabia. Moreover, when the COVID – 19 pandemic was inflicting everyone mentally, this program helped me to overcome some issues I faced.

Dr. Linh always suggests that I should speak slowly as she thinks the intention of speaking faster lowers the confidence of speaking. I always follow her tips when I need to have any conversations with Professors, Visa Officers, and International Staff. In addition, Miss Sylvia helped me a lot to improve my writing. She always suggested some memorable places, movies and events particularly related to Pittsburgh. I always miss those days and feel good when I remember these moments.

After the ELP program I completed my Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and started to email professors in the US universities targeting the Fall 2021 session. Fortunately, Dr. Don Chen, associate professor, UNC Charlotte, appreciated my potential and offered me to work under his supervision. I will work on the project under the North Carolina Department of Transportation to develop the pavement modeling using breakpoints and pretreatment conditions. I also awarded funding opportunities against my research assistantship to cover my living, health insurance and tuition expenses. Therefore, the journey from KUET to ELP at Chatham to UNC Charlotte is really a cherished move for me.

I always highly recommend the Chatham English Language Program to English learners. If you need any suggestions or help from me, you can contact me over my email tamimadnan6240@gmail.com. It will be a lovely experience if I can help you for any purpose.

Have a Charming Journey at Chatham University!

Sincerely,

Tamim Adnan

Ph.D. student

Infrastructure and Environmental Systems

University of North Carolina, Charlotte.

9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28223, United States.