Chatham Summer 2022 Field Experiences are now open for application! Program options are:
Costa Rica: Biodesign and Sustainability, Prof. Saglinda Roberts
Greece: Discovery Course, Dr. Carrillo and Dr. Lettan
Taiwan: Tunghai Summer Mini-Semester, Dr. Kingsbury and Dr. Tippen
Please click on the above links for program details and application information. The application deadline is 12/3/2021.
- At this time, Summer 2022 field experiences are conditionally approved and will only run if health and safety conditions, including visa and entry restrictions, US Dept. of State Travel Advisory and CDC Travel Health Notice for each location, permit. Chatham does not approve study abroad to US Dept. of State locations with a Level 3 or Level 4 Travel Advisory; or to locations with a CDC Travel Health Notice of Level 3. Restrictions on entry, including quarantine and testing requirements, and other travel conditions may also affect Chatham’s ability to offer these field experiences.
- Chatham will announce a decision on if summer 2022 study abroad will be permitted by early January 2022. There is no risk or cost to students in applying for a summer field experience. Deposits for students participating in these field experiences would not be due until after the January 2022 announcement.
- Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, conditions may require changes to field experience programs, including program dates, cost, facilities, activities, transportation, and itinerary. Students considering participating in these field experiences will need to be flexible, understand the risks of participation, and will be required to agree to health and safety protocols and any restrictions put in place by Chatham, in-country partners, and country, regional and local agencies. Chatham is monitoring travel conditions and is working closely with in-country partners for updates on current protocols, restrictions and health and safety information. Chatham is committed to transparency in communicating information that may affect these field experience programs.
- Students may apply their $1,200 study abroad voucher toward any of these field experiences. This one-time voucher is available to each undergraduate student who has 30+ credits, at least 15 of which have been completed at Chatham. Students do not need to apply for the study abroad voucher; it is applied to your Chatham account for the term in which you study abroad, reducing the amount you pay by $1,200. For the Costa Rica and Taiwan field experiences, students completing an International Studies Certificate may apply their $1,800 certificate funding toward the program cost. For more information the International Studies Certificates, please see the Certificate checklists at https://my.chatham.edu/tools/_departments/advising/checklists/ Eligible students should complete the International Certificate verification form and have your International Certificate advisor sign the bottom half of the form. Please submit completed verification forms to the Office of International Affairs, Falk Hall lower level, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students may apply for Chatham experiential learning scholarships which offer summer funding (application deadline is 2/28/22). These awards are competitive as funding is limited. For application and more details on Chatham experiential learning scholarships see https://chatham.edu/academics/international-programs/scholarships-and-vouchers.html
- Students who receive Federal Pell grants may be eligible to use Pell funding toward summer programs of 6 or more credits, including the Costa Rica and Taiwan field experiences (please contact Office of Financial Aid for details of your financial aid award) and should consider applying for a Gilman Scholarship for additional funding (there are two application deadlines -10/5/21 and 3/1/22 for summer 2022 study abroad).
Please reach out to the Office of International Affairs, email@example.com with any questions on Chatham field experiences or other study abroad opportunities.