Student Spotlight: Gabrielle Bunting, Master of Accounting ’16

Chatham University’s Business & Entrepreneurship Department would like to recognize Gabrielle Bunting, Master of Accounting (MAcc) ’16 candidate, as an outstanding student and asset to Chatham’s Accounting program.

gabrielle
Gabrielle Bunting, MAcc ’16

Gabrielle currently works as a Senior Tax Specialist at BNY Mellon, a global banking and financial services corporation based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her primary roles include producing tax forms for external clients in compliance with IRS tax filing deadlines, working closely with relationship managers to ensure proper tax compliance reporting, producing quarterly 1099 projections for global and domestic clients, reconciling monthly account registers against in One Source tax reporting platform and source system, executing and releasing payment transactions, and reconciling and producing year end reports.

This position with BNY Mellon was the opportunity that brought Gabrielle to Pittsburgh. “I moved to the Pittsburgh area after my Bachelor’s degree when I got a job BNY Mellon,” says Gabrielle. Prior to working with BNY Mellon, she was a student at Lock Haven University in central Pennsylvania where she obtained her Bachelor of Science in Accounting. Her professional background is primarily in Taxation, particularly in cost-basis reporting and producing 1099 tax forms for clients. Additionally, Gabrielle has significant volunteer experience. She has worked with United Way’s “Money in Your Pocket” Coalition and the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs, where she prepared individual tax returns and was certified as a volunteer tax preparer.

Gabrielle then decided to further her education in Accounting. “What brought me to pursue my Masters degree at Chatham University is Chatham’s flexible MAcc curriculum,” notes Gabrielle. “It catered to full time working students and offered evening classes whereas others MAcc programs offered only offered daytime classes. Additionally, I am close friends with two alumni of Chatham University who strongly recommended the program.”

gabriellebunting
Gabrielle attends a Chatham Accounting Networking Mixer with alumna Amy Lehner, MAcc ’15

Gabrielle concludes: “The highlight of my Chatham experience has been the friendships I have fostered since being in the program and personal growth. A lot of the friendships I have made will extend beyond the class and last a long time. This is something that cannot be obtained through a strictly online program….I have recommended this program to any person I know who wants to pursue a Masters degree in the fields Chatham offers especially if they are working full time.”

Chatham University’s Business & Entrepreneurship Department is proud to recognize students such as Gabrielle for their educational and professional accomplishments. The Master of Accounting program is designed to help prepare students to take advantage of the many opportunities available in the field of accounting and play an important role in the preparation for taking the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) examinations. Whether a student desires to work in private industry, the not-for-profit sector, or governmental entities, a degree in accounting can lead to a dynamic career with skills that are highly valued in the marketplace. The MAcc is a flexible program designed to fit students’ career goals and is available to college graduates of all majors.