Course Spotlight: Business Consulting Capstone (BUS699)

For students in Chatham’s Master of Business Administration (MBA) program, the Business Consulting Capstone class (BUS699) with Professor Robert Graham is a pivotal experience. This course provides students with hands-on business consulting opportunities and serves as the culminating experience in the MBA program. Student teams apply skills gained in the MBA program to conduct complex problem-solving and analytical projects for entrepreneurs enrolled in the MyConsulting Corner program of Chatham University’s Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship.

“This course provides students with an understanding of consulting, enhances learning processes for career changes, and has an immediate positive impact on [students’] current jobs,” notes Professor Graham. “Each student develops professional consulting skills by working with the program’s Executive-In-Residence throughout the client engagement.”

Students reflect on their Capstone experiences from the Fall 2015- Spring 2016 semesters:

Brian McCombs, MSUS/MBA '16
Brian McCombs, MSUS/MBA ’16

“The Capstone course has provided a great opportunity to gain real consulting experience while working to help a local business woman to succeed. It’s a Win-Win,” says Brian McCombs, a recent graduate of the dual Master of Sustainability and Master of Business Administration (MSUS/MBA) program.

FullSizeRender (7)
Claudia Rojas-Romero, MBA ’16

Claudia Rojas-Romero, MBA ’16 reflects on her experience working with a local salon: “My Capstone was one of my most interesting courses at Chatham because I could apply the knowledge that I gained in the MBA program to a real business. Throughout spring semester, I had the opportunity to work with an organic hair salon called ‘Be Pure Organic Salon‘ owned by Kelly Miller, a well recognized hair stylist in the Pittsburgh area. My teammate and I used skills gained in the MBA program to assist the business with developing their advertising and management plans. We met regularly with the business owner to build a positive client relationship, visited the salon for observation and research, and collected data. Finally, we prepared a report and presentation that contained essential recommendations for the business owner.”

Reva Forrest, MBA '15 Entrepreneurial Leadership and Strategy Concentration
Reva Forrest, MBA ’15

Reva Forrest, MBA ’15, comments, “I believe that the Capstone experience is the most critical part of the Master’s program at Chatham. It’s so easy to write a 10-page paper, but in the Business Consulting Capstone, you’re getting the actual experience and application to succeed in lifelong learning.”

Lauren Richards, MBA '15 Project Management Concentration
Lauren Richards, MBA ’15

Lauren Richards, MBA ’15, echoes that sentiment: “I feel that working with a business and their real problems has put my MBA program experience to great use. With all of our hard work during the semester, our final recommendations could help a business become more successful which is a very rewarding feeling.”

Lisa Sobel-Berlow, MBA '15 Entrepreneurial Leadership and Strategy Concentration
Lisa Sobel-Berlow, MBA ’15

“For me, the Capstone class opened up a new world,” notes Lisa Sobel-Berlow, MBA ’15. “Consulting is a whole industry that I had not considered as a career option, but after working with my team to develop strategies for a local small business owner, I feel this could be my next career move after graduation.”

The Business Consulting Capstone course provides the culminating experience in the MBA program. Student teams apply knowledge and skills gained through the MBA program to conduct complex problem-solving or analytical projects for woman entrepreneurs enrolled in the MyConsulting Corner program of Chatham University’s Center for Women’s Entrepreneurship. All client professionals have the opportunity to meet and collaborate with students consulting on various aspects of their businesses.

Chatham’s Fall 2015 Capstone Class with Clients

For more information on the BUS699 Business Consulting Capstone class, click here to learn about Chatham MBA alumna Leah Spixs’ experience!